Go Back   Home Owners Forum > Home Discussion Forums > Powering your home
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2010, 11:13 PM   #1
OneLook

Default Different Kind of 3 way switch?

Hi, guys, new here

I'd like to wire my garage lights to come on with the garage door opener. So that when I open the garage, the overhead lights come on. You know, just like the light on the opener does, but for the whole garage.

I thought about a 3-way switch type of thing, but then realized that wouldn't work since normal 3-way wiring is a sort of "exclusive or" meaning, if this switch is on OR that switch is on, then the lights are on, but if BOTH switches are on, then the lights are off.

This would be a problem because, if the garage lights were ALREADY on, then I opened the door, I wouldn't want the lights to now shut off. I hope that made sense.

Anyway, my question is this... is there a way to wire a "non-exclusive" or?

This sorta thing (see attachment) works for lower voltage circuits, but would it be feasible and/or safe and/or pass code to do this with a 110v circuit in the house?

Thanks for the input, all
Attached Images
File Type: jpg or.jpg (4.3 KB, 1 views)
OneLook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:21 PM   #2
Ronalunda

Default Different Kind of 3 way switch

and what size tire to get some height for the Pirellis would you recommend, staying with the 17s ? Do I have any options ? Thanks.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:49 AM   #3
WalterArcher

Different types of switches are recommended for different type of living environment.Switches comes in different styles, colors and looks.Single pole switches is the most popular.This switches can be bundled to together into 2, 3 or 4 switches within one enclosure.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:38 PM   #4
Ronalunda

Default Different Kind of 3 way switch

Thats the size. Any larger in any direction and you will rub on the spring perches. There just isnt a lot of room to get creative in there.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:07 PM   #5
lovelydecor

The three way switch is always used in pairs and allows you to turn a light or receptacle on and off from two different locations. These switches have no "on" or "off" markings because the on and off positions will vary as the switches are used.
The three way switch has three terminal screws and here's where it can start getting confusing for most people (but it won't be for you, don't worry). The black "hot" wire is attached to the darkest screw terminal marked "COM" for "common." The other two terminals are used to wire up what are called "travelers" or leads for the switch. It makes no real difference which traveler wire goes to what traveler terminal on the switch. The switch will also come with a ground terminal (green screw).

The trick in replacing a old switch is to mark the COM or common wire off the old three way switch before you replace the old switch.

Please note, you cannot use any other type of switch in a three way application, and again, these switches must be used in pairs.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:50 PM   #6
maxpaayne

Yes, I think so. They have a slightly different standard on / off switches. There are 4 screws connecting the wires. You will also need different cables to connect two switches together. Management generally consists of black (hot), white (neutral) and red (traveler) and bare copper wire ground wire. View the book bears. Once you understand the basic arguments, there is a bit 'of trouble understanding.