Go Back   Home Owners Forum > Home Discussion Forums > Home Repair and DIY Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2007, 07:11 AM   #13
Steve Barker LT
 
Default Re: Installing Electric oven.. 12AWG leads?

About $3 a watt minimum. And that's just for the panels. then you have
battery banks, inverters, and charge controllers.

--
Steve Barker


<hallerb@aol.com> wrote in message
news:1165106386.886204.149450@80g2000cwy.googlegro ups.com...
> Plus, I have solar panels producing electricity
>> for me
>> > -Eric

>
> so how many giga bucks does it cost to run a electric stove off solar
> panels?
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:12 AM   #14
hallerb@aol.com
 
Default Re: Installing Electric oven.. 12AWG leads?


Steve Barker LT wrote:
> About $3 a watt minimum. And that's just for the panels. then you have
> battery banks, inverters, and charge controllers.
>
> --
> Steve Barker
>


so you in the desert southwest? on or off grid? all solar or
supplement?

how big is your battery bank?

I have a friend with a windmill since 1960, its largely ineffective.
his battery bank is a large number of used car batteries, done for cost
reasons.

are you actually using a solar system to power your electric stove/
oven?

  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:13 AM   #15
Tom The Great
 
Default Re: Installing Electric oven.. 12AWG leads?

On 2 Dec 2006 10:25:00 -0800, "mcfly32" <mcfly32@gmail.com> wrote:

>I'm about to install an electric oven in our house to replace an
>existing gas oven. The oven's installation instructions state that 8AWG
>wire should be used to power with 40A breaker protection. Ok, makes
>sense.
>
>Here's the question: The oven has factory installed leads running out
>of the oven via flexible conduit. There are two hots (a black and a
>red), a neutral and a ground. The two hots are #12 wire, and the
>neutral is #16! Is this safe to use, or should I re-wire to use #8 into
>the oven? The leads are probably about 5-6ft runs.
>
>Thanks!
>
>-Eric


IMHO:

Breaks down to this truth, the oven is [should be] UL tested. Home
wiring isn't, so home wiring is 'beefed' up.

Just guessing....

tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com

  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:13 AM   #16
trader4@optonline.net
 
Default Re: Installing Electric oven.. 12AWG leads?


Don Fearn wrote:
> I think it was Nate Nagel <njnagel@flycast.net> who stated:
>
> >mcfly32 wrote:
> >> My understanding is that electric ovens have better heat control while
> >> cooking than do gas.

> >
> >I disagree; personally, I find adjusting a gas flame to be much more
> >intuitive than a rheostat controlling a coil of unknown resistance.
> >Also the gas burner has almost no thermal mass; if you want to stop
> >cooking something immediately (such as pasta that has achieved the

>
> Ovens. You're talking stovetops; mcfly32 said ovens.
>
> Stovetops are MUCH better gas -- IMNSHO . . . .
> --
> "What do *you* care what other people think?" --Arline Feynman



Most high end kitchens are now dual fuel. Gas for the range and
electric for the ovens. It's clear to me why gas is preferred for the
range, but not so sure about electric for the oven. Perhaps it's that
dry heat is better for certain applications, like baking?

  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:13 AM   #17
Mikey S.
 
Default Re: Installing Electric oven.. 12AWG leads?

Actually for most bread baking wet heat is better, and a pan of water is
often used to humidify the oven while baking breads to improve the crust.
Gas makes a lot of moisture while burning and that helps keep the oven
humidity higher.
I believe the electric oven is supposed to provide more accurate temperature
control than the gas, but my gas oven seems to do just fine.

--

Mike S.

<trader4@optonline.net> wrote in message
news:1165155569.323038.242540@f1g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
>
> Most high end kitchens are now dual fuel. Gas for the range and
> electric for the ovens. It's clear to me why gas is preferred for the
> range, but not so sure about electric for the oven. Perhaps it's that
> dry heat is better for certain applications, like baking?
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:14 AM   #18
Steve Barker LT
 
Default Re: Installing Electric oven.. 12AWG leads?

None of the above, just replying to the question. I am fixin to put about
a 100w system of some sort on a detached building however. It will be only
for a garage door opener and an 80w circulator pump on a solar heated
radiant floor.

--
Steve Barker



<hallerb@aol.com> wrote in message
news:1165116261.682595.249130@80g2000cwy.googlegro ups.com...
>
> Steve Barker LT wrote:
>> About $3 a watt minimum. And that's just for the panels. then you have
>> battery banks, inverters, and charge controllers.
>>
>> --
>> Steve Barker
>>

>
> so you in the desert southwest? on or off grid? all solar or
> supplement?
>
> how big is your battery bank?
>
> I have a friend with a windmill since 1960, its largely ineffective.
> his battery bank is a large number of used car batteries, done for cost
> reasons.
>
> are you actually using a solar system to power your electric stove/
> oven?
>



  Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools

 


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
privacy policy