Go Back   Home Owners Forum > Home Discussion Forums > Real Estate, Investing, And Money Matters
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
walkerorchid

Default Bartering Lease Pricing on Housing

I suppose this is a real anecdotal topic, but what experience has people had in renting apartments/houses when it comes to price? I'm considering renting a new place but everything I'm looking at seems to be about 15-20% more than I really feel like paying. Is there some sort of textbook technique for getting a better price on a lease agreement? Seeing as this housing situation would last for ~3 years, is there any real incentive for the leaser to agree to the situation and then boost up the rent once the lease is up for renewal?
walkerorchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:58 PM   #2
Hensiowineedo

How high is the demand for housing in your area? This isn't going to fly in, for instance, San Francisco.

If you're trying to lease places that have been sitting vacant for months, you have more room to bargain.
Hensiowineedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:58 PM   #3
lonnievivid

Pick up an audio book about negotiating, it is a good subject to have knowledge on, you might be able to rent them from some places. In your situation I might suggest something like taking a longer lease at a lower negotiated price, if you want to move you can sublet in the future.

Chat with the landlord and look them in the eyes the whole time and really get to know him/her as best as you can; call them the next day and ask him/her a bunch of questions about the place then say "I really appreciate you giving me the opportunity to lease your place and I think it is great, and I really think you'd be a great landlord, but I have some reservations about the price of the lease" If you are not willing to say something along those lines remember that you are negotiating not just living accommodations but also a relationship and you want to really pump up their ego before you suggest not paying what they want, do not say "the price is too high" because that will make them defensive and less likely to WANT to negotiate with you.

Sorry I can't offer much else, I'm still working on my negotiating skills and it is a very complex subject but I hope you are able to, at the very least get an idea as to what you can do, alternatively you can call a realtor, because realtors will be paid by the landlords and won't cost you anything up front and have them negotiate a lease or at least confirm that the price of the lease matches up with the so-called market value of lease properties in the area you want.
lonnievivid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:16 AM   #4
JerryJones

Bartering buildings and leases for goods and services is one of the newest and fastest-growing trends to hit the depressed real estate market.A house lease agreement is a legally binding contract between a private landlord and a tenant for renting out a home or other type of property.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:07 AM   #5
thirtynyc

The consumer has the choice to emporium for his/her own leasing company, bank, or credit kinship to find improved franchise conditions compared to the leasing companies offering by the dealer.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:37 AM   #6
halstonwind

I will try to answer some of these -- May use A, B, C , D for the answers.
BTW --- a quick 10 points would be appreciated.