Go Back   Home Owners Forum > Home Discussion Forums > Home Repair and DIY Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2007, 08:11 AM   #1
mcfly32
 
Default Installing Electric oven.. 12AWG leads?

I'm about to install an electric oven in our house to replace an
existing gas oven. The oven's installation instructions state that 8AWG
wire should be used to power with 40A breaker protection. Ok, makes
sense.

Here's the question: The oven has factory installed leads running out
of the oven via flexible conduit. There are two hots (a black and a
red), a neutral and a ground. The two hots are #12 wire, and the
neutral is #16! Is this safe to use, or should I re-wire to use #8 into
the oven? The leads are probably about 5-6ft runs.

Thanks!

-Eric

  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:11 AM   #2
RBM
 
Default Re: Installing Electric oven.. 12AWG leads?

More likely it's #10, and possibly a high temperature insulation, but in any
event, if it has a U.L. label on it, I'd assume it has been tested and is
safe. The internal wiring of equipment is done under different standards
than those used in building wiring



"mcfly32" <mcfly32@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1165083900.317189.190730@73g2000cwn.googlegro ups.com...
> I'm about to install an electric oven in our house to replace an
> existing gas oven. The oven's installation instructions state that 8AWG
> wire should be used to power with 40A breaker protection. Ok, makes
> sense.
>
> Here's the question: The oven has factory installed leads running out
> of the oven via flexible conduit. There are two hots (a black and a
> red), a neutral and a ground. The two hots are #12 wire, and the
> neutral is #16! Is this safe to use, or should I re-wire to use #8 into
> the oven? The leads are probably about 5-6ft runs.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Eric
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:11 AM   #3
hallerb@aol.com
 
Default Re: Installing Electric oven.. 12AWG leads?

short internal run of lighter weight wire no problem, on long run big
problem. if it UL approved no problem but do install the specified
wire..........

  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:11 AM   #4
mcfly32
 
Default Re: Installing Electric oven.. 12AWG leads?

The wire in the flexible conduit is most definitely labeled 12 AWG.
Whether or not it is mislabeled, I don't know.

The labeling on the red wire is as follows. Black is similar if not the
same:
12AWG E-44576(14) AWM 3173 600V 125C -- LL14432(14) CSA XLPE CL1251
125C 600V FT2

I think this means it is #12, rated up to 600 volts and 125 degrees
Celsius (so better ampacity than standard THHN, but 10A better?).

Thanks for the reply. The oven is UL rated, but I purchased it "open
box". I just want to make sure that the leads are safe.. it appears it
came from the factory this way by the way it was crimped into the
internal electronics of the oven (same crimps and crimp connectors as
others on the unit, very clean). But #12 just seems too small, thus I'm
conflicted

-Eric

  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:11 AM   #5
Nate Nagel
 
Default Re: Installing Electric oven.. 12AWG leads?

Agree, and would also like to ask why the heck anyone would ever
consider replacing a gas stove with an electric? I thought electrics
were only bought by people who lived out in the sticks and couldn't get
a gas hook up?

nate

RBM wrote:
> More likely it's #10, and possibly a high temperature insulation, but in any
> event, if it has a U.L. label on it, I'd assume it has been tested and is
> safe. The internal wiring of equipment is done under different standards
> than those used in building wiring
>
>
>
> "mcfly32" <mcfly32@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1165083900.317189.190730@73g2000cwn.googlegro ups.com...
>
>>I'm about to install an electric oven in our house to replace an
>>existing gas oven. The oven's installation instructions state that 8AWG
>>wire should be used to power with 40A breaker protection. Ok, makes
>>sense.
>>
>>Here's the question: The oven has factory installed leads running out
>>of the oven via flexible conduit. There are two hots (a black and a
>>red), a neutral and a ground. The two hots are #12 wire, and the
>>neutral is #16! Is this safe to use, or should I re-wire to use #8 into
>>the oven? The leads are probably about 5-6ft runs.
>>
>>Thanks!
>>
>>-Eric
>>

>
>
>



--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:11 AM   #6
mcfly32
 
Default Re: Installing Electric oven.. 12AWG leads?

My understanding is that electric ovens have better heat control while
cooking than do gas. Plus, I have solar panels producing electricity
for me

Sounds like the general consensus is that the #12 leads are OK. Thanks
for the help and responses, everyone!

-Eric


Nate Nagel wrote:
> Agree, and would also like to ask why the heck anyone would ever
> consider replacing a gas stove with an electric? I thought electrics
> were only bought by people who lived out in the sticks and couldn't get
> a gas hook up?
>
> nate


  Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools

 


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
privacy policy